Smoked Mullet Toasts w/ Carmelized Onions & Mustard
Dare we call this the Fisherman’s Bruschetta?
The part of this recipe that is the most time consuming are the caramelized onions. Traditionally, the method is a close watch on your pot while sautéing the onions until caramelized–say 45 minutes of 5 minute interval stirrage but hey… we’ve got a secret, just look below at the directions.
You will need
- A good baguette
- Wild Ocean Smoked Mullet, picked
- 6-8 Medium sized Onions
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Stick of Butter
Smoked Mullet Mustard Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup Spicy Brown mustard
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 teaspoons hot sauce
- Here’s our easy, no fuss method: slice your onions and take your favorite roaster pan and spray with olive oil. Set your 6-8 onions worth of slices and place in the roaster pan. Pour about a stick of melted butter over all of it and salt, pepper and sugar–you want about 2 tbsp of sugar–to season. Place it in the oven at about 400 degrees and place the pan, covered with aluminum foil, into the oven. Allow to cook for about 20-25 minutes. Then, remove the aluminum foil and stir every 10-15 minutes for another 30 minutes until it’s looking very nice and carmelized. Do not be sad to see that your onions are now a quarter of what you started with. It’s GOLD.
- While you are doing this, go ahead and blending all the sauce’s ingredients and placing them in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes and allow to cool before serving with smoked fish.
- Then! Cut your baguette into 1/4 in thins and brush with olive oil. Toast these at 350 degrees until crisp.
- Pick the meat from the delicious smoked mullet you bought, and place the meat upon the toasts, the onions atop of that, and finish it off with a drizzle of the Mustard Dipping Sauce.
- Heat the toasts briefly before serving and then enjoy…immensely.